Sunday, July 5, 2009

Adventures in Cake Decorating

#4 ...I secretly dream of creating amazing cakes...

Where do I start? If I won the lottery I would quit my job, fly out to Chicago for a few weeks and soak in every possible Wilton course I could. I would find an amazing (I seem to be favoring that word) location and open an amazing (it works ok?) bakery. I would hire people who shared my passion and we would make cakes and cupcakes and candies that would be simply, you guessed it, amazing. Sigh. But since I don't play the lottery that seems impossible.

Wake up, back to reality.

I take classes at Michael's, just basics of course. I think a lot of what I'll do is going to be self-taught. I watch A LOT of Food Network and am considering a magazine subscription <-- I know it's online, I prefer paper remember?


Some day I'll look back and read this and see where I started.




Okay this is cake #1. It's a simple star cake. I know it's hard to see the detail, but this picture with Amariah is the cutest that I have.





I made a rookie mistake here. In an attempt to limit the amount of cake being eaten in my house I tried styrofoam. Apparently frosting falls off of styrofoam. I drove so fast to get home for a picture and at this angle it almost looks like the sides stayed on.





This is my latest. My first attempt at fondant. I learned a lot here.

Rule #1, add flavor

Rule #2, use powdered sugar, it's sticky

Rule #3, fondant doesn't like it when it's 105 degrees outside

One of my strengths is writing, I didn't demonstrate that here very well though. I had to make a quick batch of royal icing and added a little too much water.


This weekend I am making one for a baby shower. It'll be a two-tiered cake with white fondant and blue and brown accents.

In regards to my dream of school in Chicago, I'm considering donations. A friend at work brought up bake sales. I'm thinking a Paypal button on here may be the way to go. What do you think? Anyone interested in helping me raise $6,000?

1 comment:

  1. So...I have a pastry bag and special tip things for cupcakes. I like fun cupcakes, but fondant is hard core!

    ReplyDelete